Monday, February 05, 2007

Pre-Pioneer

Although I don't have a lot of historical data, my grandfather, Issadore Liebow, started the market in the 40's, from what I recollect. When he passed away suddenly at an early age (in approx. 1955), my grandmother, Eva, was forced to sell to the investors, again from fuzzy recollections. However, we always had fond memories of our Grandma Eva telling us about those early days of operating the market, and how much it meant to her and my grandfather.
Robert M. Weller, Oak Park, CA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother came to LA from Montreal PQ in 1926. "Izzy" Liebow followed her to LA but my mother married a dentist, and he married Eva, who was also from Montreal. My mother said that Izzy founded the Pioneer Market. I went to public school with their two daughters, Norma and Marilyn, and I attended Marilyn's wedding around 1960. We visited their house on Douglas St many times when I was young, but lost touch after 1960.
Burt Kleinberg, Carmel CA
burtkleinberg@gmail.com

Shirleyione said...

My family moved to L.A. around 1952, when my parents enrolled in L.I.F.E. Bible College. We lived in an apartment at Robert Arms Hotel (that's what I think it was called; I was 5 at the time, so who knows). After a while we moved to a house on LeMoyne. My dad worked at Pioneer Market, midnight to 8 am, for a couple of years, until the college had us move to Long Beach to work in the church down there. He loved working at the store, and hated having to leave. His name was John A. Jackson.